Another Summer Solstice activity is none other than the Marathon with the Mayor of Anchorage! Marathons are long, 26.2 miles long in fact, which is perfect to go on the longest day of the year! This tradition for both the Marathon and half-marathon has existed for the last 40 years, where people from all over come to run a race in Anchorage.
Races consisting of five running races are held simultaneously:
- Midnight Sun Marathon (26.2 miles)
- Alaska Half Marathon (13.1 miles)
- Relay Race (4 x 6.5 mile legs)
- Coastal 5K & Buddy Half Marathon (teams of 2-3 runners splitting the Alaska Half into sections like a relay)
- The Healthy Futures Kids’ Mile – It’s a free kids race run to join the fun!
The race is a few blocks from the Summer Solstice, so once you’re done you can join the rest of the solstice fun with the rest of the town!
For registration to run the race or more info on the race itself, click here!